A Delicious Sweet Treat For You!
Everyone loves honey, and there are many ways to consume it. In this recipe, learn how to make your honeycomb candy/toffee at home. Honeycomb candy is not only great on its own but can be used in many different ways. Learn more in this article!
What Are The Benefits Of Manuka Honey?
Firstly, manuka honey can improve oral health by attacking harmful oral bacteria associated with plaque formation, gum inflammation and tooth decay. Specifically, research has shown that manuka honey with high antibacterial activity is effective at inhibiting the growth of harmful oral bacteria like P. gingivalis and A. actinomycetemcomitans.
Additionally, stomach ulcers can also be treated with manuka honey. H. pylori is a common type of bacteria that is responsible for the majority of gastric ulcers. Research suggests that manuka honey may help treat gastric ulcers caused by H. pylori.
Another great benefit of manuka honey is that various bowel syndrome can be addressed with manuka honey. Manuka honey has been proven to improve antioxidant status and reduce inflammation in rats with both IBS and ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease.
Ready to discover how to make your own honeycomb candy? Check out our recipe here!
- 1 tablespoon baking soda sifted
- 1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- You may be tempted to do skip this step, but make sure to sift your baking soda! It is incredibly important and ensures that your honeycomb obtains that even, airy texture.
- This recipe goes very quickly so gather all of your ingredients and supplies. Line a baking sheet with parchment and have it nearby. A silicon spatula also comes in handy with this recipe.
- In a large pot (I like to use a 5-quart Dutch oven), pour in the sugar, honey and salt. Heat the sugar mixture to 295 degrees F, about 3 minutes, stirring it with a silicone spatula to ensure even caramelization. During this time it’ll turn an autumn-like brown.
- Turn off the heat and then immediately add mix the vanilla extract and baking soda. The mixture will foam up quite a bit, continue stirring until the baking soda completely dissolves. Quickly pour the honeycomb mixture onto a sheet of parchment. Allow it to cool completely before touching it, about 2 minutes.
- Wait for about 5 additional minutes before attempting to break it apart. This ensures the honeycomb is fully set for the best texture and crispiness. Break the honeycomb apart and transfer it to an airtight container. Depending on where you live, the moisture can set in and make it a lot less crisp.
Ways To Use Honeycomb
Now that your honeycomb has been all done, here are some of the many ways to use it!
#1 Coat It In Chocolate
After you’ve shattered the honeycomb into smaller pieces, you can now proceed to dip them in chocolate. We’d recommend using a bar of high-quality dark chocolate to contrast it with the sweetness that comes from the honeycomb. Simply heat the dark chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler, dip the honeycomb pieces in ad top with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Honeycomb makes for a great topping for many desserts. Be it a cake, cupcake, or even ice cream! The rich, caramelized colour of honeycomb contrasts extremely well with any plain white base to add some drama and flair. Instant showstopper!
One other way that you can use honeycomb is in milkshakes. Mix honeycomb into your favourite milkshake to give it more texture and flavour. Having that crunch contrast with the silky smoothness of a milkshake is just heavenly. The honeycomb doesn’t get soggy, instead, it provides this wonderful chewy consistency throughout.
#4 On Its Own
Yes, this seems pretty intuitive, but make sure you take a bite of the honeycomb on its own. Enjoy the sweetness from the honey and the light, crunchy and airy texture that the honeycomb has. It really is spectacular and the crisp makes for a great snack.
Test Out This Recipe Today!
We are sure that this simple honeycomb recipe will be the highlight of your day. Otherwise, check out our other manuka honey recipes down below. Give it a spin using our top-quality honey today!